Razor bumps are caused by the use of inferior quality shaving products and tools which, as a result, give rise to painful bumps on the skin. After a shave, when the hair grow back, they curve and give rise to bumps. It gives itchy and tiny inflammation, and there is a type of irritation in the skin. If you constantly face razor bumps and are looking for home remedies for razor bumps, then here is the right list.
10 Home Remedies For Razor Bumps That Work
Whether it is your legs, hands, or face, these are the most effective home remedies for razor bumps. The healing is much faster and completely safe.
1. Aloe Vera Gel
The all-purpose aloe vera is one of the best treatment for razor bumps. The healing power of aloe vera is effective to heal the skin from all the itchiness and inflammation and accelerates the healing process.
- The fresh gel from the leaves of the Aloe Vera can be applied directly to the affected area.If you don’t have access to the plant, it can also be purchased from the market.
- After applying, leave it for 30 minutes. Then rinse off with cold water. Repeat it 2 to 3 times a week and twice a day to get quick and good results.
2. Hot or Cold Compress
A cold compress provides the best razor treatment for razor bumps, as it provides instant relief and numbs the affected area temporarily providing relief. For best results, the cold compress can be used right after shaving which also helps to prevent razor bumps in the future. A hot compress is great for soothing itchiness and it is the treatment for ingrown hair. The heat opens the skin pores.This allows the heat to warm the skin for about 5 minutes and then moisturize the treated area.
3. Baking Soda
For the treatment of razor bumps, another best option is baking soda which helps to soothe the skin and the irritation which persists after the razor bumps because of the anti-inflammatory properties. It also restores the pH imbalances on the red and irritated skin owing to its amphoteric nature.
- Prepare a baking soda solution by mixing one tablespoon of baking soda in one cup of water.
- Dab a cotton ball in this mixture and apply on the affected area.
- Keep it for about 5 minutes and then rinse it off with cold water.
- Over usage of baking soda (especially people with sensitive skin) can create many problems.
4. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is one of the best home remedies for razor bumps. It is rich in antibacterial, antiseptic, and anti- inflammatory properties. It helps in bringing down the swelling and prevents any infection in these razor bumps.
- The tea tree oil can either be mixed with water or another antiseptic base.
- Then apply it on the affected area for about 15 minutes and then wash off.
- Repeat the procedure twice a day to get the desired results.
Honey is one of the best treatment for razor bumps as it also cures the areas that are showing signs of infection. It reduces the infection and the swelling and keeps the razor burned area moisturized. Apply significant quantity of honey on the affected area, allow it to dry and then rinse it off.
6. Yogurt & Honey Mix
Yogurt also has antibacterial properties that help in reducing inflammation and swelling. It works the best when it mixed with honey. To try this remedy, follow the steps given below:
- Mix yogurt and honey in enough proportions to make a fine paste.
- Apply it on the affected area and leave for about 15 minutes. Wash off with cold water.
- Repeat the process at least four times a day to get even better results.
7. Black Tea Bags
The tannic acid present in black tea helps in reducing the inflammation and redness. It is one of the best treatments for razor bumps. To try this remedy, follow the instructions given below:
- Dip the tea bag in hot water for few minutes.
- Cool this tea bag by putting it in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes.
- Rub this tea bag on the affected area. Repeat the process several times a day to get desired results.
Another treatment for razor bumps is the cool cucumber which is full of antibacterial and anti-inflammatory and additionally hydrating properties. Vitamins K and C are present in it which have healing properties. The application method is very simple.
- Slice one medium-sized cucumber into pieces.
- Place them in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to increase its soothing effect.
- Rub these slices on the affected area for about 10 minutes.
- A puree of cucumber and milk can also be used. To one-fourth cup of milk, add 1 grated cucumber and place this puree into the refrigerator for about 10 minutes.
- Apply this mixture on the affected area for about 10 minutes. Rinse off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this process twice a day for two days to get rid of razor bumps.
Oatmeal helps in reducing the swelling and soothes the skin affected from razor bumps.
- Mix some grounded oatmeal with yogurt in equal proportions.
- Add a teaspoon of honey to the following mixture.
- Apply it on the affected skin for about half an hour and then rinse it off with warm water.
- The process needs to be repeated twice a day for three consecutive days.
10. Apple Cider Vinegar
The apple cider vinegar is full of anti-inflammatory properties which helps in reducing the inflammation and itching sensation. In addition to it, the acetic acid present in it also helps to prevent the infection.
- Dilute the apple cider vinegar with water. Dab a cotton in this mixture.
- Apply it on the affected area. Allow it to dry and then wash off with cold water.
- Repeat this process twice or thrice until the burning sensation stops.
These remedies are a good option to treat razor bumps, but prevention is always better than cure. Being careful when you shave and adopting some precautionary measures, like single blade razor, high-quality pre-shave oil, or after shave lotion will prevent razor bumps. Regardless of it, even if such a case happens, try using these remedies.