Toenail fungus scientifically known as Onychomycosis is caused when the pH of the skin gets disturbed, the presence of a lot of moisture, wearing synthetic socks for a long duration, weak immune system, sweat build up in shoes, poor foot hygiene, etc. The symptoms include inflammation, pain, and swelling of the toe, yellowing and thickening of the toe. Treatments include either getting the toenail removed through surgery or anti-fungal medicines, but these methods have their side effects.
10 Great Home Remedies For Toenail Fungus
There are many effective home remedies for toenail fungus, and some of them are as follows:
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
Considered to be one of the best home remedies for toenail fungus, apple cider vinegar can be used both internally and externally.
- Mix 1 part of ACV and 1 part of Epsom salt with 6 parts of hot water for about five minutes.
- Wait until the mixture is slightly warm. Soak your feet in this solution twice daily till the infection persists.
- Or mix 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar with 8 parts of water.
- Add a teaspoon of honey and apply it to the affected area twice a day to get quick results.
2. Olive Leaf Extract
For toenail fungus treatment this is another home remedy which is available as it is full of antibacterial and anti-fungal properties. It can regularly be taken as a supplement.
Olive leaf extract is a powerful detoxifier. So, in the initial days you might feel little discomfort so, begin with low doses initially and let your body get accustomed to it, by letting your body shed up the bulk of toxins stored up. When you feel revitalized, you can increase your intake to the recommended level.
3. Oregano Oil
The herb is full of anti fungal properties. To try this remedy, follow the steps given below:
- Mix few drops of the oregano oil into a teaspoon of any carrier oil like coconut or almond oil.
- Dab it onto the affected areas twice daily.
- Repeat the process till the infection goes and the healthy nail starts to grow.
4. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is full of antibacterial and anti-fungal properties and thus is a good remedy to cure toenail fungus.
- To use tea tree oil, first, clean the areas in and around the infection by using alcohol.
- Apply tea tree essential oil on the affected area. Soak into the toe for about 10 minutes.
- Gently scrub it with a soft bristle brush.
- Mix the tea tree oil with a carrier like olive oil or almond oil, rather than applying it directly.
Repeat this process daily, twice a day, until the new and healthy nail grows out completely. Continue this treatment for about two to three weeks further, to prevent further infection.
5. Baking Soda & Sodium Borate
The basic nature of baking soda is that it neutralizes the acidic environment, which facilitates the growth of the fungus causing the infection. Sodium Borate simply known as borax is a naturally occurring mineral and is also a powerful fungicide. The combination of these two creates a powerful remedy for the treatment of fungus infection.
- Mix two equal parts of borax powder and baking soda with sufficient water to form a paste.
- Wet your feet and then rub this mixture on the affected area. Repeat this process twice daily.
- It can be continued for about two weeks after the fungus appears to have cleared up.
6. Orange Oil
Another home remedy for toenail fungus treatment is orange oil, which can be applied on the nail twice or thrice a day to cure the infection. For good application, a dropper can be brought to use as a cover area in between the toes.
The oil may be too strong for people with sensitive skin so that they can dilute the oil with natural carriers such as olive oil or almond oil. Many people are prone to citrus allergies, so it is better to test the oil on a healthy spot before going for its full application on the infected area.
7. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has caprylic acid that is capable enough to penetrate the cell walls of the fungus and thus destroys them, as the cell wall serves as a protective coating for the fungus.
- Apply a layer of the oil on the affected area and let it soak for at least fifteen minutes.
- As coconut oil is very good for maintaining skin health, there is no limit to the application or usage of this treatment. Caution is only for the people who are allergic to it
8. Lavender Oil
The oil is full of anti-fungal properties and is an effective remedy for mild cases of infection. Drops of the oil can be applied on the affected nail every night and let it stay for the full night. To avoid the oil from wearing off, you can use socks but not the synthetic ones. Repeat this process until the infection clears away. It is best to continue the treatment for at least two weeks after the infection disappears.
A good probiotic supplement fills the gut with a lot of healthy bacteria, which hinder the growth and spread of the fungal infections by limiting their available space for living. The lactobacillus present in most of the probiotic supplements secretes a by-product, which is poisonous for these fungi. Therefore, use the probiotics daily.
10. Corn Meal
One of the best home remedies for toenail treatment is cornmeal which is full of fungus which is harmless to the human body, but deadly to the fungus which causes this infection.
- Get a big container, mix a cup of cornmeal and about two-quarters of water in it.
- Let the cornmeal soak for about an hour or so and then dip your feet in it for an hour or more.
- The treatment is to be done once a week.
Follow these remedies properly to get rid of the toenail fungus.